Horrifying death of baby Olivia; Forceps delivery crushed her skull

OliviaIn a bizarre and horrifying incident, a baby girl died after her little skull and spine were allegedly crushed during a forceps delivery. Baby Olivia Marie suffered head trauma during an emergency C-section on Dec. 28 and died on Jan. 2 after five days on life support.

According to a report from ABCnews.com, Allen Coats and Rachel Melancon, the grieving parents of the girl, allege that a forceps delivery by Dr. George T. Backardjiev at The Medical Center of Southeast Texas crushed their daughter’s little skull and caused brain death.

Allen, 25 and his 24-year-old fiancée Rachel say they will sue their obstetrician, Dr. George T. Backardjiev, but not the medical facility where their daughter was born. After the delivery on Dec. 28, Olivia was moved the same day to Houston’s Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, where the baby died on Jan. 2.

Allen and Rachel plan to bring a malpractice lawsuit not against the facility or any other staff, but only against Dr. Backardjiev whom they accuse of killing their newborn daughter, according to the report.

“We’re not mad at hospital, this is not their fault. It is one man’s fault,” Olivia’s grandmother, Angie Coats told ABCNews.com. “We only want justice for Olivia; we want the person responsible, which is the doctor. We don’t want the hospital being shunned. The hospital is great. The nurses were wonderful. It’s not their fault.”

Angie Coats alleges that Allen, who stands at just 4-foot-11, repeatedly asked Dr. Backardjiev to perform a cesarean due to her small frame and the baby’s large size, but the doctor refused by saying, “No, you don’t want a C-section. You’ll have a scar.”

She further said: “During her delivery, the baby’s heart rate kept going up. He said, ‘One more hour, one more hour.’ Her water broke, but it was 18 hours until the delivery. [Rachel] was running a 103 fever… Five hours passed, then he came in and she started to push. But she was so worn out and the baby wasn’t even in the birth canal.”

“He took the small forceps to try to pull the baby out. He kept going and even put his foot up on the bed trying to pull,” Angie Coats alleges. “He was turning and twisting and she would never come out. He put the forceps one way and the other. When he touched the top and side of the skull, we heard a pop, like clay cracking in pottery and heard her skull crush.”

Olivia was finally delivered via an emergency C-section. The baby girl weighed 7 pounds, 14.9 ounces and 22 inches long at birth, but, unfortunately, she suffered numerous fractures and was unable to breathe, the report says.

Olivia’s parents, who held a funeral for their little girl on Saturday, have started a Facebook campaign to warn about the danger of forceps use during delivery, and are campaigning for the passage of “The Olivia Law,” which would ban the forceps delivery.